Eggnog, when properly prepared, can be a wonderful
accompaniment to a holiday gathering.
(It can also be used to light fires when the power goes out.)
This recipe was
stolenadapted from Alex Scrivener on
- 4 cups Blended Whiskey (preferably Canadian)
- 2 cups Brandy
- 1 cup dark Jamaican Rum
- 1 cup light Puerto Rican Rum
- 1 dozen eggs
- 1 pound sugar
- 1 quart whole milk
- 1 quart heavy cream
- Separate eggs.
- Whisk sugar and yolks together until smooth.
- Pour in liquor slowly, whisking constantly. This will cook the yolks, so if they aren’t whisked smooth with the sugar you will have bits of yellow floating in the nog.
- Add dairy, still whisking.
- Beat egg whites to soft peaks, then fold in.
- Let sit in the fridge for 24 hours.
Serve with fresh-ground nutmeg on top in very small glasses.1
WARNING Do not let this get near an open flame.
I can’t emphasize enough that the glasses should be small. Very, very small. ↩︎