Buttermilk pie is a southern favorite, and I love the not-too-sweet flavor and custard texture. It’s similar to chess pie, but chess pie uses cornmeal instead of flour.
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 T. unbleached flour
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 T. lemon juice
- (optional) 1/2 tsp. grated nutmeg
- 1 9" unbaked pie crust
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C)
- Beat eggs until frothy; add butter, sugar and flour. Continue mixing until smooth.
- Stir in buttermilk, vanilla, lemon juice and nutmeg. Personally, I don’t care for nutmeg, so I leave it out.
- Pour into the pie crust.
- Bake about an hour, or until a knife in the center comes out clean. For some ovens, that could be as soon as 40 minutes, but it’s always a whole hour for me.